Yesterday the kids had their well child checkups. Daphne - 4 years, Joseph - 9 months.
Daphne
36 lbs (60%), 40.5" (68%)
She got 4 shots. What an ordeal!! I told her that she was going to get a shot and that if she was good, I'd give her an ice cream. She was very happy about that. The dr asked Daphne if she knew her letters and numbers and Daphne sang the ABC song for her. She asked her more questions, did all the other "dr" things and said she is doing great. Then the nurse came in and proceeded to lay out the shots. Daphne didn't seem to know what was happening so we got her on the table and I hugged her while the nurse held her leg with one hand and started to give the shot. Daphne soon realized this really hurt and started kicking her leg and the needle came out and scratched her. So we tried again. I got a vice grip on her upper body while the nurse tried to hold her leg tighter. Daphne now knew what was happening, so she just continued to kick and cry. I told the nurse we were going to need help and she went to get another nurse. I told Daphne that she needed to hold still for a few minutes so it would be over quicker. The nurses came in and we sat Daphne on the edge of the table with her legs hanging off while one nurse leaned on her legs, I held her upper body and the other nurse quickly tried the shots again. We got two in her left leg. I tried talking to her to calm her down, but realized I was about to start crying as well. When the nurse gave the ones in the right leg, the "leg nurse" about got a knee in the chin. Goodness!! After it was all over, I got her dressed and told her we'd go get an ice cream. The "shot nurse" came in a gave Daphne 2 coupons to Chick-fil-A for a free IceDream Cone, a sucker and a sticker. The poor thing didn't want to walk, but I had to carry Joseph, so we slowly made our way out. She got her ice cream and the rest of the day she limped around. :( Taking off the bandaids today also proved difficult. So I told her to count to 4 and ripped them off. It obviously wasn't as bad as the shots and she got to see that the pokes were healing nicely. Good thing there are no more shots until 7th grade! Andrew said he's happy that she's a fighter. She's not gonna just take it if she is getting hurt or picked on! I guess that's a good thing.
Joseph
19.3 lbs (29%), 28.75" (67%), 18" head circ. (70 %)
No crazy stories here. The dr looked at him as he was crawling all over me and said he looked healthy and active. He is crawling all over and pulled himself up to standing yesterday. He is doing awesome with solid foods and has gotten better with finger foods.
I am going to get their pictures taken soon, so I'll post more later.
2 comments:
Wow what an ordeal.
ugh, I'm dreading taking Penny in for shots. I hate them. But on a lighter note, I remembered your post about the bottle nipples the other day, and thought to start trying different brands of pacifiers to find a nice soft one that the baby might take, and it worked! Good thing you posted that. u r a life saver! I owe you big time.
Post a Comment