Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The cake that almost wasn't...

I learned a few very important lessons on Joseph's birthday.  First here are the pictures...

Shaping Thomas

Measuring

Frosting


"Annie and Clarabel"

Finishing touches

Finished

Left Behind...

Lesson 1 - Make the cakes the day before the party
Poor Joseph basically got ignored by Mom because she was stressing over the cake.

Lesson 2 - Don't make 3D cakes while pregnant
The stress of making a cake alone is enough to put anyone in a fit.  Let alone a pregnant woman.

Thomas almost got thrown out the window.  The birthday plan was to go to the mall to ride the train after Joseph woke up from his nap, then go out to dinner.  I baked the cake the day before and froze it for easier shaping and frosting.  I started shaping the cake in the late morning thinking that I would for sure be done by the time he woke up at 4.

Thomas was planned to have his two coaches Annie and Clarabel.  The shaping went well for all, but the frosting took forever!!!  Plus I had to make like 7 different colors of frosting.  I was in tears after frosting the first car and called it quits with the other.  Which is why there is an unfinished car in the fridge.  I was so fed up with it all that I told Andrew to just go buy a cake at the store.  I hadn't even showered yet, I hadn't even started frosting Thomas and Joseph was going to wake up at any minute!  I calmed down enough to finish the stupid cake and tried not to cry (although unsuccessfully) when I realized that the train ride wasn't going to happen that night.

Needless to say, the day did not go as planned.  The day after however, is what the actual birthday should have been.  Joseph refused to get out of his new train jammies, so we played with his new trains while wearing our PJs, had a nice relaxing day just hanging out together.  We went to Five Guys Burgers and Fries (the BEST burgers ever!) for dinner and then went to the mall and rode the train.  It was a good day.

Pictures of the birthday to come.  We love you Buddy!

4 comments:

Middleton said...

Nice cake! Very impressed!

How did I not know you have a blog? I'm going to link to you on mine so I can frequent yours a bit more!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya about making the cakes. It is the most stressful time of the year for me. But Thomas came out so well. Great job!

overlyactive said...

Your cake was amazing! I am not a cake person so I am blown away. I have Devin make Dutch oven cobblers for birthday's now. I'm glad you ended up having a great day in the end. love you!

Ella said...

That is an awesome cake!!! I wish I could have had that Idea about 5 years ago, My son was in love with thomas!!!