Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Potty Training

For the past few weeks Joseph has been coming into our room in the morning telling us he has to go potty and at various times during the day.  But every time I would suggest he wear underwear I was met with extreme resistance.  I learned from Daphne that the more I pushed the issue, the harder she pushed back.  So I've let it be up to him and I'd take him whenever he asked.

Well, we ran out of diapers yesterday morning and so I decided that now was a good time to potty train.  I told him there were no more diapers and asked if he wanted to wear his underwear.  He was excited and ended up staying dry all through his nap and all through the night!!  We did well this morning until we went to the park and I spaced it.  He stayed dry again through his nap, but I failed again and he had 2 more accidents.  :(  I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to check on him.  He does well if I ask him if he has to go and will tell me yes or no but he gets too involved in playtime to remember to go.  He went before bed so I think we are in the clear for tonight.

He has done really well and has been excited with it all and hasn't asked about wearing diapers again, so I think we are almost there!  We are driving to Ohio in a few weeks to visit my family and I was getting a bit nervous that he would just be starting and the drive would be a nightmare.  It still may be a nightmare, but I don't think it will be from potty problems.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! Potty training! On the other hand, there is such a sense of dread, for me, with potty training. But that is so good that he is asking and ready and rearing to go, so to speak. Congrats on the milestone!

overlyactive said...

How fun. Your trip will be long but I'm sure the kids will do better then you think. You may want to do pullups for the trip.