Sunday, June 8, 2008

"The Big Red Dog"

By Andrew:

I just finished reading Daphne's bedtime story. This time it was "Clippard as a puppy" (Daphne's pronunciation of Clifford the Big Red Dog.) Well anyway the whole book was about how small Clippard was when he was a puppy. Page after page was full of anecdotes of the tiny pup. Well on the last page it jumped to Clippard the way we know him, Japanese monster size. Daphne really took to the story. When it was over I told her that one day she'll grow up too and be as big as mommy and daddy. She understood what I said but her concept of time was skewed. She told me with the most excited smile and tone in her voice "I'm gonna go to bed and in the morning wake up and I get to be a Giant!" I laughed and asked "Are Mommy and Daddy Giants?" "Yes" she replied "And I get to be a GIANT!" With just as much energy and excitement as the first time. So I tried to explain that it would take lots of days and she needs to eat all her food and then one day she'll get to be a giant. I still think that tomorrow morning she's going to wake up and be a bit disappointed that she didn't have a 3 foot growth spurt.

Having three year olds is lots of fun.


Here's an update:

Monday morning, June 9th... Daphne came down stairs to greet us, and the first thing she announced was "Guys, I'm small!" Poor thing. Now she thinks her dad is a liar, even though she didn't say it, I can see it in her beady little eyes. And so begins the adolescent discord between father and daughter.

1 comment:

Kari said...

no no no...i am HUGE! That picture doesn't show it because I am squatting down so that our bellies are the same level. Agh! I will post tomorrow after I go to the dr...can't wait to see how big I am measuring because i feel baby B in my ribs already! I'm jealous you are almost done! Are you ready??