Thursday night I was here:

It all started at Cafe Rio during lunch. Andrew's sister, Valerie, is in town for a visit and we went to lunch. I started to feel nauseous but it went away and I didn't really think much else about it. Around 3 my bowels started becoming loose and I thought it was lunch disagreeing with me. Joseph hadn't been eating very well the past few days, so I took him to the Dr at about 6pm (he has stomach flu). Right as we walked out of the office, my stomach turned and I really started to not feel well. I went to pick up Daphne from her cousins' and we went home and got ready for bed. Around 7 it was getting worse and I just didn't want to move for fear of throwing up. As I was getting Joseph's bottle ready and Daphne in bed, my trips to the bathroom were becoming more frequent. I began to think that I had food poisoning. I knew that if I just puked, I'd feel better, but I didn't want to. Who would? Valerie had to go buy a battery charger and came back just in time for me to throw up. It was pretty bad. I did feel better though.
I got in the shower and Val gave Joseph his bottle and sat with Daphne until she fell asleep. My stomach felt a little better, but I was feeling pretty exhausted. I sat in the shower for probably 10 minutes. I really just wanted to fall asleep and my stomach was still churning. I forced myself out and got mostly dressed. I called for Andrew because I could tell that I wasn't better. I leaned against the bedroom doorway for support and Andrew came up and asked if I had makeup on. Huh? He told me later that my eyes looked sunken and I had such dark circles under my eyes that he thought I'd put on makeup. From this point on I could hear everything, but had NO control over my body. It's hard to explain. It felt like my body took over itself. My brain was functioning, but couldn't control my body. Very weird. Anyway, I told him that I was going to fall over and he just barely caught me. He drug me to the bed and then it got scary. He realized I was dehydrated and got me some Sprite. My mouth was dry and I could barely whisper. Then my hands started to get tingly and then my fingers got really rigid and my wrists bent in. Andrew tried to massage them, but it wasn't working. That started to freak him out. Then I started laughing hysterically. He asked me what was funny and I told him nothing. That did it. I told him that we should go to dr. He ran and got Ernest and they gave me a blessing. He put on my robe and slippers and carried me out to the car. On the way, I started convulsing, bad. He ran a few stop signs, red lights and honked at lots of cars.
When we got to the hospital, a Dr happened to walk out, looked at me and said, "She needs to get an IV." We waited about 5 minutes and were taken back. The shaking wouldn't stop and it was annoying me, but I couldn't stop it. I got the IV and after one bag I was able to talk and control my body again. My stomach was still a bit unsettled so they gave me some anti-nauseous medicine as well. They drew some blood and did some tests and came back and told me my blood sugar level was at 326. Normal is 65-110. They wanted to test my urine as well and when I finally was able to go they found ketones present. They think there is a possibility I could have diabetes, so they want me to go see my normal dr next week and get more tests done. Lovely.
Around 2am my stomach was still not feeling well, so they gave me some more anti-nauseous meds but other than that I was feeling a lot better so they discharged me. I went to the bathroom and got into the wheelchair and just made it out of my room when the hand tingling and cramping started again. My mouth went dry and my stomach was still churning. So they readmitted me and gave me a room in the hospital.
I was exhausted but couldn't sleep very well because of the IV in my arm. Around 4 Andrew went home because I knew Joseph would be waking up. I woke up around 8 (?) to my finger being pricked for another glucose test (95-yay!). I ate breakfast and got my finger pricked again (135). Then I sat around and waited for the Dr to come tell me I could go home. Apparently they start in ICU and work their way up so it wouldn't be until early afternoon before I saw anyone. So I watched silent TV (couldn't find the volume), talked to people on the phone and waited. She finally came in at 2 and told me to go see my dr next week and that I could go home. Now I had to wait for the nurse to come remove my IV and get my discharge paperwork.
Andrew had some work do to, so by the time he got there and I got the paperwork, it was 4pm. The rest of the day was mostly spent in bed. I would start to feel better, so I'd get up and try to get some things done and 10 minutes later, I'd need a nap. My friend Karrie made arrangements for dinners to be brought over for the weekend and I am very glad she did. I was pretty useless. Saturday was the same. Today I've been feeling much better. Eating is still a trick. If I eat, I feel sick. I'm hungry, but nothing sounds good. Even drinking water makes my stomach turn. Don't know how much longer I'll be nursing. Though I have been thinking I'd like to start weaning soon. I guess I'll go until it's gone... BTW-in doing my blood work, they included a pregnancy test. It's negative. So I know this isn't morning sickness or anything. So I'll make my appointment this week and see what they say. I'll keep you posted...
7 comments:
Wow Beth, that sounds awful. For me the most helpless feeling is vertigo and nausea, especially together. I hate that feeling. Good luck, I hope they can get things figured out!
Oh Beth! I have been wanting to hear about everything. So what the?!?!? Did they say it was anything in particular or just dehyndration? Wow, scary. I was almost positive you were either pregnant (thats what happened to me when I was sick) or diabetic. My sister said you're almost guarenteed to have diabetes when there are keytones in your urine. I cringed for you. I am glad it's not that. Let me know what else you find out! I hope you are feeling better. I am here, if there is ANYTHING you need. Let me know.
Beth- I am so worried about you. Your symptoms sounds too familiar for comfort. I don't want you to be diabetic too! I am praying for you.
Holy crap! That is so scary. I hope that your doctor can figure out what's going on. And congrats on "bottle time" with Joseph! I'm struggling right now to get Lily to eat rice cereal - never knew it'd be this difficult!
Oh my, pretty intense! I really hope everything is okay. Keep us posted. Let us know if you need anything!
Beth,
I've been behind on reading my blogs and I just read this. I hope you are feeling better. Let me know what I can do! I'll be praying for you.
Hey! I really hope you are feeling better now! If you need anything at all let us know!
Post a Comment